You know how I’ve NEVER hit a single weight/health related goal on here? Like ever? Well, I’ve decided to bet on it. I BET I can lose 4% of my weight in 4 weeks. I even put $30 on it.
As a rule, I don’t gamble. I have a highly addictive personality and it’s just not worth it to me. I had a little bit of a gambling issue as a kid. Try as they might, NO ONE could get me out of that Bingo tent at Catholic festivals. With the desperate look of a seasoned junkie, I would beg for more quarters. I just had to get my Bingo fix. My sixth year on Earth was a dark one…
However, I decided to make an exception just this once. You see, the lovely Roo of Neon Fresh started a Diet Bet. $30, lose 4% of your weight in 4 weeks. Anyone who loses 4% or more splits the pot. So not only am I fighting for my initial investment, I also have to potential to get a nice financial return.
Why am I talking about this here? For one, it’s my blog so I’ll do what I want. AND I am keeping this very public. I’m hoping a combination of money and shame will help me get through this.
Hide under the covers, my weigh in picture is coming up now. No makeup, in the morning, long creepy looking toes. I apologize for what you are about to see.
Starting Weight: 167.0
Goal Weight: 160.3
Current BMI: 24
Skin Pigment: Apparently None
What does all this mean? Well, my BMI (body mass index) is 24 which is healthy. However, 25 is considered overweight. I’m only 7 pounds away from an overweight BMI of 25. So I’m on the heavy end of normal. If I lose the required 6.7 pounds, my BMI will go down a full point to 23.
What’s the plan? Eat well (and less) and exercise. Duh. For a better formulated plan, see below:
I happen to love fresh fruits and vegetables. I was possibly the only kid in the world whose favorite food was broccoli. Unfortunately, I also love cheese, bread, pasta, rice, chips, wine, and ranch dressing. So I have three big wins I’m going to keep track of:
1) Cutting down on carbs. I didn’t say cutting carbs because I think it’s ridiculous to eliminate a major food group, but I do want to stop making them the ONLY food group.
2) Portion control. And THIS is where my issue lies. I eat really fast so I consume more than I could ever need before my body realizes it. This will make or break my success in this challenge.
3) Bye bye wine. I love wine. I also drink it very regularly. I am going to cut my wine consumption back to one day a week. See below for cheat day.
To keep things realistic, I will allow myself one cheat day a week. On Wednesdays, I am allowed to eat as I please. Basically, I’ll have one cheat meal and I’ll drink my wine.
I have recently realized my issue with exercise. I really don’t like being uncomfortable. But I’m going to have to put on my big girl pants (which barely fit these days) and get over it. I have a few items I would like to concentrate on here as well.
1) Couch to 5k. There’s no time like the present to make good on my 25 before 25 list item: Run a 5k. I will be starting the Couch to 5k program tomorrow (well today for you, tomorrow for me — “It was my lucky day today on Avenue A…”).
2) Yoga. I’ve never done yoga but I’ve always wanted to try. I’ll be scoping out some local yoga studios to get all zen with my bad self.
3) Just move! I’ve been good about walking in the area, but it wouldn’t hurt to get my heart rate up. Maybe I’ll try hiking. Maybe I’ll dance like a psycho in my apartment. Who knows? I just have to do SOMETHING.
I will exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, 5 times a week.
I think that’s it. Any advice y’all have for me? Yes, I’m asking you. Also if you have any recipes you want to shoot my way, I’d be eternally grateful. Especially lunch recipes that aren’t sandwiches. Thanks, guys!
[Image from BuzzFeed]